Saturday, August 1, 2015

To Designate or NOT to Designate? This is the Question OR o/` o/` It's One, Two, Three Strikes You're OUT o/` o/`

Irene and I have been married for 35 years next month, on September 6th (and NO, I didn't have to ask Irene to make sure).  

During our marriage, we have been to many baseball parks: The Big "A" - Angel Stadium in Anaheim - The California Angels; Chavez Ravine (LA Dodger Stadium); Jack Murphy Stadium (San Diego Padres); The Kingdome (Seattle Mariners - no longer standing); Chicago's Wrigley Field (Cubs) & Comiskey Park (the original park - Chicago White Sox ); The Houston Astrodome (Houston Astros); Riverfront Stadium (Cincinnati Reds);  Separately, I have gone to the NEW Comiskey Stadium (also the Chicago White Sox); Oakland Coliseum And Connie Mack Stadium (Philadelphia Phillies in the 50s).  Irene has gone to Crosley Stadium (in the 50s - Cincinnati Reds).

So, while we were in New York for the Middletown Church of Christ Sojourn I took the opportunity to go to both the New Yankee Stadium (with Martin Buchanan one of the other sojourners) and to Citi Field (Shea Stadium - Home of the New York Mets) with Irene.

Oh, we also went to Cleveland's Municipal Stadium were the Indians played, but it was to see the Cleveland Browns play a football game.

So, here are some pictures of the New Yankees Stadium:


Above is the view from our seats


I love Cracker Jack (the more peanuts at the bottom, the better), but even though the song says "Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack" - you'd be amazed to know how many Major League Stadiums no longer sell Cracker Jack!  That oughta be illegal.  Yankee Stadium had the biggest bag of Cracker Jack I've ever seen.


Above is the view from the right field seats and...


Above is the view from the left field seats.

The Yankees won the game over the Seattle Mariners 4-3.  It was a home run fest.  I'm not a Yankee fan, so I was bummed enough, but the "coup-de-grace" is that the margin of victory was a home run by Aurelio "Juice" Rodriguez - A-Rod.  He was suspended by Major League Baseball for using Anabolic Steroids.  In other words, he's a cheater.

The game at Citi Field - Shea Stadium was more to my liking.  The Mets were playing the Los Angeles Dodgers and I have been a Dodgers fan since I was 9 years old.  I used to almost worship Sandy Koufax.  He was left handed and the person that made me realize that my being left handed was good, preferential even.  The Dodgers beat the Mets like a rug. 1 run in the 1st; 2 runs in the 2nd; 3 runs in the 3rd.  I was hoping it would continue. 45 runs would have been nice.  The final score was 7-2.  Here's the picture of the stadium from our seats below:


Just a note:

Citi Field is right next to La Guardia Airport.  During the single 9 inning game we must have seen over 200 airplanes fly low over the stadium immediately after takeoff.

You'll notice how similar the view is (in reference to the field) in both stadiums from our seats.  I always try to up high and as close to right behind home plate as possible.  I think it gives you the best view of the whole park.


No comments:

Post a Comment