Thursday, May 15, 2014

OFF DAY???

Today was a day when neither Irene nor I had to teach.  But that doesn't mean we had nothing to do.  You see, we leave tomorrow afternoon to drive to George which is about 265 miles away from here (for our international readers that's about 425 kilometers).  The roads outside the big cities in South Africa - even the national highways - are about the equivalent of a 2 lane highway in America.  So, we will start out on a 6 lane divided highway (like a freeway) and in about an hour we will be down to 1 lane in each direction.  It would take about 5-6 hours to get there if we took the most direct road - the "Garden Route."  Tomorrow though we are headed a little different way - through Robertson.  We are going to overnight there and get to George about noon on Friday.  Irene will teach the ladies on Saturday.  Her lessons are "God's Anger Management" and the other is "Strength and Love."  I'll have 2 sessions with the men on:

Topic: Let go of the past 
Phil 3: 10-15 
(2 x 45 minutes – men only)
Past mistakes;
Past pain;
Past failures &
Past disappointments.  While we are focusing on moving beyond the past, it is important to evaluate our past mistakes so that we don’t repeat them again.

Then, on Sunday I've been assigned to preach a lesson on David and Goliath.  I'm not a real fan of "assigned topics" to be honest with you.  But I acquiesce in these type of circumstances because I figure that Rohan Jones is at the congregation monthly and knows what they need better than I.  My struggle is, I don't like allegorizing scripture or drawing parallels which the scriptures don't draw.  I know the Old Testament is written for our learning but I always try to show the NEW Testament verses that teach the principle that I think is being illustrated by the OLD Testament example, not the other way around.

Well, our 3 day streak ended today.  It has rained (often times hard) virtually continually since about noon today.  You see, this is the southern hemisphere so they are going into winter now.  Their May is the equivalent of our November in America.  Of course being right on the coast and at the latitude that Cape Town is at it never "snows" in Cape Town, but it does SLEET from time to time - every decade or so.  People here don't have insulated houses for the most part so the cold and humidity come right into the house.   Here's how Irene and I stay warm in the 1 bedroom "mother-in-law" or "maids" quarters at the Jones' house:


The temperature right now is 59º F (15º C) and it's going down to 54º F (12.2º C) tonight.  So, without this heater that would be the temperature in our room and bungalow.  And the humidity would make it bone-chilling.  BTW - HOW can it be pouring outside and the Relative Humidity only be 82%?  Does that mean there is 18% air between all the rain drops?  Just Wondering!

Irene spent about 7 hours getting one of her lessons ready today.  Since they mainly speak Afrikaans (a variant of Dutch) in George she got her lesson together in English and then went through the lesson and made another one with the verses in Afrikaans - from an online version of the 1983 Afrikaans Bybel.  Rohan is translating her English text that ISN'T scriptures into Afrikaans tonight.

Rohan and I spent about 3 hours today waiting for a computer to come in that I had ordered for the "Know the Truth Radio" program that Rohan is going to begin recording soon in Afrikaans.  For more information on Know the Truth Radio click here.  I had to install Microsoft Office and Kaspersky Internet Security on the system.  Now we have to get a PCIe board for sound.  The board I brought with me is a PCI board, but is not compatible with the PCIe ("e" is for "express) that the mother board has installed on it.  I got done what I could.  Now we have to get the sound board and then get a couple other technical programs installed to interface with the Know the Truth Radio web site to be able to upload in the proper format.  At that point I hand Rohan the keys and it's his and Luis Camacho's problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment